Archived readings & workshops
Thursday, March 16
5:30pm, RECEPTION & PROGRAM: $80 INDIVIDUAL | $150 COUPLE; PROGRAM ONLY: $25 ADVANCE | $30 DOOR
INTRO TO BOOK ARTS / SOME OTHER IDEAS
Binding: Dos a dos
at Jazz Gallery Center for the Arts
Let’s only work with language today, using it both as a design element on a page and a collections of symbols that we read as language.
The first of four book arts workshops with Leslie Fedorchuk. Sessions are suitable for both an interested beginner and an advanced practitioner
Each session will be changed to reflect the pace of the attendees. Instructor will create a site for links, etc. and add to it over the course of the sessions.
If you attend all workshops, you will have the ability to:
- Create a series of books that demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between content, material and structure.
- Have a working knowledge of at least four different binding techniques
- Discuss the history of the book.
Some basic materials for these workshops will be provided. You are encouraged to bring your own materials if you can.
- Strong thread and needles
- Sharpee Markers
- Large and small glue brushes
- Glue stick OR YES glue OR Nori paste
- Bone Folder
- Bulldog clips (2-4)
- Brush for applying glue or paste (I like cheap stenciling brushes)
- Collage elements: a box full of stuff: tea bags, leaves, petals, and flowers pressed flat, butterfly wings, old stamps, envelops, ribbons, raffia, twine, paint samples, fabric swatches, seed envelops, beads, feathers, maps, decorative papers, old dictionaries, rubber stamps, old magazines, images, old photos, keys, dice, dominoes, tarot cards, loteria cards, playing cards, stars, sewing patterns, tags, envelopes, doilies, sheet music, sewing notions, measuring tape, needles, incense, photocopies, charms, computer ephemera, old botany or zoology text books (that you are willing to scan (cut up!!)) , shells, feathers, tiny screws, pins, safety pins.
Pick things from this list that pique your interest!!